Friday, March 18, 2011

Stop Ignoring the Obvious


Ever done something that you knew beforehand wasn't going to work but you did it anyway? I have.

Just recently, I was on my way home and when I got off at my freeway exit I saw that the traffic was being rerouted away from a bad accident. This was the main thoroughfare that I actually live off of, and to be detoured wasn't going to take me that far out of the way, but I was on a tight schedule and ready to get home. Apparently, my fellow drivers were also not willing to go out of their way either. As we took the U-turn onto the feeder road, each of us blindly following the other, the traffic turned on a side street that had a "Dead End" sign prominently displayed on the corner. However, all of us chose to ignore the sign and followed the procession of traffic onto the street anyway. Even a city bus driver followed suit; and you would think he, of all people, would have known better. Looking back on it, I think the fact that someone who presumably would have more knowledge of the streets than I did influenced me to go against my better judgment. Hmmm....

Anyway, we all inevitably ended up turning around (some, like the city bus, with great difficulty) and taking the "out of the way" route after all. After turning around and getting back to that same corner, something struck me. I saw other cars rounding that same corner, also ignoring the sign as well as the rest of us who had turned around trying to tell them not to turn down that street.

Wow! What makes us so determined to continue going the wrong way even when we KNOW that it's not going to turn out right? What drives us to ignore the obvious? More importantly, what is driving YOU to ignore the obvious right now? If you're making the same bad choices that have failed you before, it's time to ask yourself 'Why?'.

Let me know what answers you come up with.

No comments: